Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Films Worth Seeing

Today I'm recommending a few documentaries:

1. No Impact Man documents a family on a one year experiment of working toward having no negative impact on the environment. From eating local to creating zero waist and surviving without electricity this family does it all. After watching it I felt inspired, moved and called to action. If I value the earth and believe we should be depositing less waste, then I should take action in my day to day life to support that. I can't wait around for government officials to legistlate on these issues for things to change. I believe that was my biggest take away from it.

2. Deconstructing Supper is a very informative film on the different views on genetic engineering and the very sophisticated farming techniques used around the world, some of which are completely organic. I was left curious and hopeful about the farming practices in India. Through this story I felt the importance of a reverence for our earth and the bounty that it provides. There is something sacred about the fruits of the earth and this has helped me to understand why some people feel nutrition and spirituality go hand in hand. The documentary wasn't about spirituality at all, but observing the Indian farming drove that home in my heart.

3. Super Size Me was very popular when it first came out. I saw bits and pieces of it back then, but I never really got into it enough to watch it from end to end. This week I decided I would watch it in full. I can't even begin to describe how upset I am that McDonald's is marketed at food. This documentary made me solidify my understanding that proper nutrition is vital for a healthy and vibrant body. Over the course of my life I hadn't really understood food as fuel for my body. I didn't know much about what food and specific nutrients did for my body. I ate because I was hungry. End of story. I'm glad I have developed further understanding in this area. I'm no longer an unconscious eater just listening to the messages of mass marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment