Monday, May 2, 2011

Self-Care

I was raised to believe hard work pays off and success requires persistence and dedication. For years I pushed myself mentally and physically to achieve excellence in academics, music and sports. I threw myself into political activism and student leadership activities for most of my academic life. I would sleep about 5 hours a night. I had numerous well meaning teachers over the years tell me I was burning my candle at both ends, but I was on a mission to achieve success and to work hard for this "pay off" I had been told would come. I don't believe my parents meant for me to interpret their support this way, but that is how I heard it. Sacrifice everything for excellence.
The thing is, on top of all of this outward "stress" and achievement I was also dealing with family breakdown, isolation and abandonment by my mother. My body was under extreme stress and it is really only now at age 26 that I have taken a moment to pause and take this all into consideration. I have not yet achieved the success I desire, but now my definition of success includes contentment, confidence and vitality. I want to live a long healthy and happy life. The bottom line is, the way I had been taught to live my life didn't not produce that type of result. So here I am, at age 26 teaching myself that there is another way. Self-care is not an option, it is a necessity. In order to experience balance mentally, emotionally and physically we need to be sure we reduce stress, exercise, get adequate sleep and proper nutrition as well as spend some time pampering ourselves. Life is meant to be enjoyed and to do that we need to live in joy. I am making a commitment to go for a spa day, as it's something I have desired to do for a very long time!
Take a little time to pamper you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment